Can I get healthcare when I am away from home?

Emergency or Urgent Care:

If you need urgent health care when you are away from home, call your Primary Care Provider (PCP) or your Managed Care health plan for help.  

If it is an emergency, you do not need to call your PCP or health plan first. You should:

  • Go to the nearest emergency room or call 911  
  •  Call your PCP after an emergency room visit
  •  Get your follow up care from your PCP

Once you return home, you must receive all routine health care services from your PCP. 

All services outside the United States and its Territories are not covered.


If you need care out of state for a non-emergency service that is covered by MO HealthNet, it must be approved prior to you receiving services. Non-Emergency out of state service is defined as “not within the physical boundaries of Missouri or any of the states that border Missouri.” Your Primary Care Provider will need to contact your MO HealthNet Managed Care health plan for prior authorization.

Feedback and Knowledge Base